Sunday, November 29, 2009

First Advent Sunday and...



... the advent calendar my sister made for me a couple of years ago is hanging on the wall. Starting on the 1st of December I will count down the days to Christmas Eve as I used to do as a child (that I still am :). Christmas brings so many good memories for me and this year I am especially looking forward to the season.  This is also the time of year I get homesick, still, after 36 years of life in the US. I am sure that my childhood memories of all the Christmases in Germany have everything to do with this.
The one thing I miss the most, besides the people, is the snow. Not that we always had snow for Christmas growing up in Berlin, but there where a few years we did have snow, coming down in big fluffy flakes, and those years I will always remember as very special. There is the one year when I was in college and lived away from home. I had traveled home by plane and arrived at my mother's house about noon on Christmas Eve. Within an hour of my arrival it started snowing and by the time it was dark outside, about 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon, everything was covered in a blanket of white. It turned out to be a most memorable Christmas Eve.
Post a Comment